Wellwood House (site of)




NGR - NS 667258


The site of the Wellwood House where the Covenanters lived is located to the west of Muirkirk, south of the A 70. The original house was either replaced or considerably extended to create the building illustrated. This has now been demolished, and only stone rubble remains on site.

WIlliam and John Campbell of Wellwood


Wellwood House was owned by the Campbell family, no doubt anciently a branch of the Campbells of Loudoun. At the time of the Covenant, it was occupied by WiIliam Campbell and John Campbell. In 1684 William Campbell was imprisoned in Dunnottar Castle.WIlliam Campbell died of the cruelties.

John Campbell survived the Killing Times and became an offcier in the forces supporting King William. A flag bearing the inscription '1689 Moorkirk, God and our Country' was associated with him.