Drumlanrig's Tower

1 Tower Knowe




NGR - NT 502144


Drumlanrig's Tower was latterly incorporated in the Tower Hotel building, where people like Dorothy Wordsworth and Sir Walter Scott stayed. It was later converted into a visitor centre, currently named the Border Textile Towerhouse. The tower and heritage centre is open to the public. For up-to-date information on opening times, visit the centre's website.

Drumlanrig's Tower


Drumlanrig's Tower is an ancient tower house in the centre of Hawick. Around 120 local Covenanters besieged the tower in June 1679, wounding the local schoolmaster, John Purdom, in the incident. The charge placed against the Covenanters was as follows:

'...did most treasonably besiege the tower and castle of Hawick, and by storm and violence did take the same, ... carried away with them all the goods and the arms of many country gentlemen who transported them thither for safety and custody. In the storming and in-taking of the which Castle several of His Majesty's subjects, who were therein, were dangerously hurt and wounded.'

The leader of the Covenanters involved was Thomas Turnbull of Standhill. Also involved was Thomas Turnbull of Knowe; George Dun of Pielhill; Robert Scott, Younger of Hassendean; Walter Turnbull of Bewlie; W. Patterson, heritor in Hawick; Ralph Davidson of Greenhouse; Andrew Young of Caverton; John Scott of Weens; Robert Ker of Priestoun; George Hume of Graden; James Turnbull of Swanshiel and Alexander Hume of that Ilk. Andrew Hume of that Ilk was captured after going into hiding and was hanged in Edinburgh on 29 December 1682.