Covenanter's or White's Well



NGR - NS 234762


The Covenanter's or White's Well is located within the grounds of an industrial estate. At one time this was open countryside, and fairly remote from the town of Gourock.

White's Well


Conventicles were held here in the late seventeenth century.  A large outcrop of rocks forms a natural pulpit known as the Pulpit Rock and nearby was a supply of clean water known as the Covenanter’s Well, reference to which was made as early as 1698.  This well is also known as White’s Well; as the name J. White is inscribed on the large rock which covers the opening, apparently he was one of the Covenanters who met here. The well was probably used for baptism; It is in a cavity under the rock, first rising perpendicular, then sloping inwards, forming a natural tablet on which is incised the date’1698’, the words ‘White’s Well’, and the letters ‘BOM’.

The Pulpit Rock was a natural pulpit with book-board, which was destroyed by vandals in 1947; behind it were two steps. On the remaining outcrop of rocks were many and varied masons’ marks, even cup and ring marks, which were erased by a vandal in 1951.