NGR - NS 327196
Cunning Park has been demolished in recent years and the site has been developed for housing.
In the middle of the seventeenth century Cunning Park House was owned by Ayr Kirk Session. In 1679 the house was used as a garrison for the government soldiers, known locally as the ‘Highland Host’, sent to quell the Covenanters. At the time, the house was leased to Joseph Baird, who was responsible for supplying the needs of the guests. Once they had gone, in 1679, he requested that the kirk session to repay his costs, for ‘quartering of 60 men and boys and 6 horse for ye space of 24 hours when the host was here 20 lib.’ The session didn’t pay out, however, referring him to the Commissioner of Assessment.